020 3228 6000
The Maudsley Hospital in Camberwell first opened in 1915, initially as a military hospital and then as a psychiatric hospital in 1923 when once leading Victorian psychiatrist Henry Maudsley offered London County Council £30,000 to help found a new mental hospital.
It remains notable that a specific Act of Parliament had to be obtained (1915) to allow the institution to accept voluntary patients without needing to certify them as insane.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, and with the threat of air-raids, the Maudsley closed and staff dispersed to two locations: a temporary hospital at Mill Hill School in North London and Belmont Hospital in Sutton, Surrey. Staff returned to the Maudsley site in 1945 and three years later the Maudsley joined up with the Bethlem Royal Hospital to become partners in the newly established National Health Service (NHS). This partnership saw the introduction of more community-based services and a gradual expansion of the south London catchment area, to become South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust in 2006.
The Maudsley pioneered the development of some new treatments. Breakthroughs included the introduction of clinical neuroscience in the 1950s which was partly led by Denis Hill, a senior lecturer at the Maudsley and the Institute of Psychiatry (IoP), and the use of group talking therapies which is still practiced today.
The Institute of Psychiatry is also based on the Maudsley Hospital site. It is Europe's largest centre for research and post-graduate education in psychiatry, psychology, basic and clinical neuroscience, and is world renowned for the quality of research.
Today we provide in-patient and community mental healthcare to local people in Southwark, Lambeth and nationally across the UK.