Monks Orchard Road
020 3228 6000
020 3228 6174
Bethlem Royal Hospital
Bethlem Royal Hospital is based in 270 acres of green space near Bromley. The hospital is home to a number of our specialist services for people from across the UK such as our anxiety disorders residential unit. The original hospital was founded in 1247, during the reign of Henry III, The original location was in the parish of St Botolph, where Liverpool Street Station now stands. It is Europe's oldest extant psychiatric hospital and has operated continuously for over 600 years.
In 1930, the hospital moved to an outer suburb of London, on the site of Monks Orchard House between Eden Park and Shirley. In 1999, Bethlem Royal Hospital became part of the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust ("SLaM"), along with the Maudsley Hospital in Camberwell, and the merger of mental health services in Lambeth and Lewisham.
River House our medium secure unit opened in February 2008. The unit provides care for people who were previously being treated in hospitals up to 200 miles away from their loved ones because of the historic shortage of medium secure beds in south-east London. The hospital includes specialist services such as the National Psychosis Unit.
Other services provided at the hospital include the Bethlem Adolescent Unit, which provides care and treatment for young people aged 12 – 18 from across the United Kingdom. The site includes an occupational therapy unit and includes an art gallery displaying work of previous and current patients.
The Bethlem Museum of the Mind opened in 2015 and is housed in the Old Administration building on the site. The museum focuses on the history of Bethlem Royal Hospital, its programme of care, and its service users. The museum's displays include work by artists who have suffered from mental health problems. The Archives and Museum offer an unparalleled resource for the history of mental healthcare and treatment. The Administration Building's grand art-deco staircase will provide a fitting showcase for the world renowned statues of 'Raving' and 'Melancholy' Madness, which originally stood above the gates of 17th century 'Bedlam'.