Ice Bucket Challenge funds gene discovery in ALS (MND) research
The Ice Bucket Challenge that went viral in 2014 has funded an important scientific gene discovery in the progressive neurodegenerative disease ALS, the ALS Association says.
Scientists have identified a new gene contributing to the disease, NEK1.
The Ice Bucket Challenge has raised $115m (£87.7m) from people pouring cold water over themselves and posting the video on social media.
It was criticised as a stunt, but has funded six research projects.
Research by Project MinE, published in Nature Genetics, is the largest-ever study of inherited ALS, also known as motor neurone disease (MND).
More than 80 researchers in 11 countries searched for ALS risk genes in families affected by the disease.
“The sophisticated gene analysis that led to this finding was only possible because of the large number of ALS samples available,” Lucie Bruijn of the ALS Association says.
The identification of gene NEK1 means scientists can now develop a gene therapy treating it.
Although only 10% of ALS patients have the inherited form, researchers believe that genetics contribute to a much larger percentage of cases.
Social media was awash with videos of people pouring cold water over their heads to raise money for ALS in the summer of 2014.
More than 17 million people uploaded videos to Facebook, including many celebrities who rose to the challenge, which were then watched by 440 million people worldwide.
Read the full article online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36901867
- Music fans face premium-rate phone charges to book access for live events - 22/04/2018
- Government takes small step over risk of NHS care home discrimination - 21/04/2018
- Redundancy threat hangs over Remploy workers as DWP funding ends - 20/04/2018
- Mum with rare illness accused of being drunk at daughter’s school - 20/04/2018
- Disability-led ensemble to play BBC Proms - 20/04/2018
- Government set to ignore key air travel discrimination concerns - 19/04/2018
- Come and join us at Naidex! - 18/04/2018
- Wetherspoons told disabled woman to leave Shrewsbury pub - 18/04/2018
- Government faces legal action over election access fund - 18/04/2018
- Disabled people struggle to afford food and heating, study says - 18/04/2018
Ice Bucket Challenge funds gene discovery in ALS (MND) research - 29 Jul 2016
Like us on Facebook