Daring disabled explorer launches “Accessible Travel Week” to support other disabled people to take the holidays they’ve always dreamed of
On the 30th March 2016 seasoned disabled traveller and entrepreneur Martyn Sibley is launching a yearly educational campaign called Accessible Travel Week to help spark the debate about the difficulties of accessible travel. Using fun & educational videos and guides Martyn will reveal his best strategies for overcoming the many hurdles to accessible travel so other disabled people can enjoy life-changing adventures too.
Sibley said “Travelling with a disability can be extremely difficult due to lack of information, low self confidence, financial restraints, barriers to transport and public buildings. The list goes on. These difficulties and indeed the solutions need to be shared”
The campaign includes:
- Martyn’s A-Z, door-to-door plan for travelling with a disability
- Frank and honest discussion of the societal and social issues
- A collaboration and interview with Virgin Atlantic Special Assistance to show how air travel can be made accessible the RIGHT way, whatever airline you choose
- A day at a fully accessible Holiday Inn to show how accommodation can be made accessible and what people should look out for when booking adapted hotels or holiday lets (including how to avoid places that are falsely advertised as adapted)
- An exciting reveal of a new project Martyn is working on to make accessible travel well…accessible to everyone
Details of the campaign can be found at www.accessibletravelweek.com from March 30th.
Organisations and charities currently on-board to spread the word in one way or another include Scope, Muscular Dystrophy UK, Tourism For All, SMA Support Uk, European Network of Accessible Tourism, Accessible Madrid, Lonely Planet and many others.
Martyn Sibley is a disability campaigner, entrepreneur, and explorer. Co Founder of Disability Horizons (www.disabilityhorizons.com), author of Everything is Possible (a memoir/how-to-guide on accessible travel), and global jet setter – he stands for social justice and progress of disabled people’s lives. Martyn can be contacted for comment or interview by phone on 07798 746551 and email at Martyn@martynsibley.com
- ‘Years of council neglect’ have left campaigner’s home ‘too dangerous for firefighters’ - 17/11/2017
- Disabled families up to £5,500 a year worse off due to welfare changes – Equality and Human Rights Commission report - 17/11/2017
- Summit hears calls on direct action, assessment boycotts and hate crime - 16/11/2017
- Come along to DisabledGo’s Huntingdonshire Work Experience Day - 16/11/2017
- Come along to DisabledGo’s East Cambridgeshire & Fenlands Work Experience Day - 15/11/2017
- Come along to DisabledGo’s Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Work Experience Day - 15/11/2017
- Disabled people ‘will go into government alongside Labour’, says McDonnel - 15/11/2017
- Google Maps does not provide a disabled route option and this man is taking drastic action - 15/11/2017
- Mind the Gap Academy Open Day: Wednesday 13 December, 6pm – 8pm - 15/11/2017
- ‘Shocking’ case of disabled woman trapped in care home that wants to evict her - 15/11/2017
Daring disabled explorer launches “Accessible Travel Week” to support other disabled people to take the holidays they’ve always dreamed of - 4 Apr 2016
Like us on Facebook