Changing Places Facilities
DisabledGo is delighted to add its support to the Changing Places campaign for fully accessible public toilet facilities for people with profound and multiple learning disabilities. Changing Places toilets include an adult-sized, height-adjustable changing bench, hoist and plenty of space.
Standard accessible toilets do not meet the needs of all people with a disability - or their carers.
Changing Places toilets are different to standard accessible toilets.
Changing Places toilets provide:
- The right equipment
- A height adjustable adult sized changing bench
- A tracking hoist system, or mobile hoist if this is not possible
- Enough space
- Adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers
- A centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers
- A screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and carer some privacy
- A safe and clean environment
- Wide tear off paper roll to cover the bench
- A large waste bin for disposable pads
- A non-slip floor
The criteria for awarding the symbol is designed by the Changing Places consortium and further information can be found on the Changing Places website.
Where these facilities do not meet the criteria set out by the Changing Places Consortium the facility will be known as Changing Places (Partial). These type of facilities will not be awarded the Changing Places symbol but the Accessible Changing Room symbol.
To qualify for the Changing Places (Partial) section to be added, the facility must meet this minimum criteria:
The changing facility should be at least the minimum floor size for Changing Places and have an accessible toilet within the cubicle.
The information will be included in the access guide to allow the user to decide if the facility is suitable to their requirements.
As part of our partnership working with Changing Places, DisabledGo will provide the details of partial facilities to Changing Places in order for them to contact the venue with a view to encouraging the service provider to upgrade the facility to the full Changing Places standard.