Daring disabled explorer launches “Accessible Travel Week” to support other disabled people to take the holidays they’ve always dreamed of
On the 30th March 2016 seasoned disabled traveller and entrepreneur Martyn Sibley is launching a yearly educational campaign called Accessible Travel Week to help spark the debate about the difficulties of accessible travel. Using fun & educational videos and guides Martyn will reveal his best strategies for overcoming the many hurdles to accessible travel so other disabled people can enjoy life-changing adventures too.
Sibley said “Travelling with a disability can be extremely difficult due to lack of information, low self confidence, financial restraints, barriers to transport and public buildings. The list goes on. These difficulties and indeed the solutions need to be shared”
The campaign includes:
- Martyn’s A-Z, door-to-door plan for travelling with a disability
- Frank and honest discussion of the societal and social issues
- A collaboration and interview with Virgin Atlantic Special Assistance to show how air travel can be made accessible the RIGHT way, whatever airline you choose
- A day at a fully accessible Holiday Inn to show how accommodation can be made accessible and what people should look out for when booking adapted hotels or holiday lets (including how to avoid places that are falsely advertised as adapted)
- An exciting reveal of a new project Martyn is working on to make accessible travel well…accessible to everyone
Details of the campaign can be found at www.accessibletravelweek.com from March 30th.
Organisations and charities currently on-board to spread the word in one way or another include Scope, Muscular Dystrophy UK, Tourism For All, SMA Support Uk, European Network of Accessible Tourism, Accessible Madrid, Lonely Planet and many others.
Martyn Sibley is a disability campaigner, entrepreneur, and explorer. Co Founder of Disability Horizons (www.disabilityhorizons.com), author of Everything is Possible (a memoir/how-to-guide on accessible travel), and global jet setter – he stands for social justice and progress of disabled people’s lives. Martyn can be contacted for comment or interview by phone on 07798 746551 and email at Martyn@martynsibley.com
- Modern slavery sentencing again exposes hate crime failings - 24/09/2017
- Scotland’s largest independent living show returns to Glasgow - 24/09/2017
- Motability’s tyre policy ‘risks safety of customers’ - 23/09/2017
- Understanding Assistance Dogs - 23/09/2017
- DPO backs call to boycott engagement with government - 22/09/2017
- How Chester became the most accessible city in Europe - 22/09/2017
- Benefits assessor sanctioned for mocking disabled claimant - 22/09/2017
- Council’s review finds PIP ‘not fit for purpose’ - 21/09/2017
- Join our team: Administrative Assistant - 20/09/2017
- Prime minister ‘lies’ on benefits spending in response to UN ‘human catastrophe’ claims - 20/09/2017
Daring disabled explorer launches “Accessible Travel Week” to support other disabled people to take the holidays they’ve always dreamed of - 4 Apr 2016
Like us on Facebook